Legal Career and Mock Trial
- Wednesday, February 9, 2022
- 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- MBUSD Conference Room
- CareerLaw and the Judicial System
- SpeakersAparna Voleti, Esq., Geoffrey Wells, Esq., Honorable Joseph J. Burghardt
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to practice law? In our Legal Career Workshop, you will step into the life of a criminal trial.
Criminal law is one of many areas of law practiced around the world with significant ramifications. We will hold a “mock” trial (simulation act) based on a current case involving college campus life and sexual accusation. The issue will be, what is “consent”?
Our Workshop / Mock Trial features:
• Honorable Joseph J. Burghardt – California Superior Court Judge, as the Judge
• Aparna Voleti, Esq. & Emily Wingett, Esq. – LA County Public Defenders, as the Defense Attorneys
• Geoffrey Wells, Esq. –Partner at Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, as the Prosecuting Attorney
• Mary Ray, Esq. – LA County Public Defender, as the Victim
• Michelle Slater – Law Student at South Western Law School, as the Defendant’s Roommate
You, our MBYC student body, will serve as the Jury charged with hearing the case, deliberating, and rendering a Verdict.